Candidates for scholarship will have the following characteristics and meet the following criteria:
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior high school students, with proven musical talent and commitment to continued growth with their instrument.
- Strong, mature team player with desire to make a solid musical contribution to Calliope.
- Ability to commit to one three-hour rehearsal per week in the evening, as well as dress rehearsals and a performance at the end of each season. There are currently two seasons per year: June through September, and November through February. Transportation to and from rehearsals and concerts will be the student’s responsibility. Recipients will be expected to be prompt and prepared. Mentors will assist recipients with logistics.
- Ability to commit to practice time at home commensurate with what is required to participate fully in rehearsals and performances.
- Willingness to provide feedback as requested from the Board of Directors. Calliope maintains a collaborative environment, and participation in this manner is critical.
- Calliope especially encourages young women to apply, as this is an underrepresented population with respect to mentoring scholarships.